Saturday, January 18, 2014

Recipe: Healthy Peanut Butter and oatmeal bars

I am NOT a cook.  Seriously.  I didn't cook practically anything before beginning this journey.  Since then, I have learned to cook a little.  I've learned how to spice things and have followed simple recipes, but that's about it.  

And I certainly am not a baker!  But I found a recipe for these bars and I've been craving something sweet, so I decided to give them a shot.  They tuned out really well.  If you're used to massively sugar laden treats, you might not like these really well, but Marc and I really loved them!

Ingredients 
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar (not packed)
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter (any kind! I used chunky this time)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup oatmeal
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup fat free milk
  • 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1/4 cup raisins
Directions
  • Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Spray a glass baking dish with nonstick spray.
  • Mix the brown sugar and peanut butter together until light and fluffy.  Mix in the vanilla.
  • Add in the flour, oats, salt, and baking soda. The dough will be very thick and clumpy, but it will come together. Slowly add the milk in a steady stream, mixing until a dough forms. Fold in chocolate chips and raisins. Use your hands to make sure everything is combined, if needed.
  • Once dough is completely combined, press it lightly into the prepared baking dish. Bake for about 17-20 minutes until the bars are lightly golden and set. Allow to cool completely and cut into squares. 
This is how mine turned out:


No comments:

Post a Comment