Tuesday, January 15, 2013

My dream...

I'm guessing there are at least a few people reading this that have had issues with in the past or still struggle with binge eating.  I have never had that issue.  I don't think I have ever in my life had what could be considered an actual binge.  

So this is why the dream I had last night was so weird.  I was in some house that I didn't recognize.  There was some celebration going on and there was a large chocolate store bought sheet cake in the room.  My friend took a piece and left the room and I was all alone.  And that's when I went nuts.  I went over to the cake and just started STUFFING my face with cake.  I'm talking no fork, 2 hands, grabbing cake and chowing down.  

In the dream I remember hoping that neither my friend nor anyone else would come back into the room, because was face was covered with cake and frosting but I just couldn't stop eating.

Strange huh?

I woke up with a start and then had a surge of RELIEF flush through me that it was just a dream.  I got up to go to the bathroom and while on the toilet I was looking at my fingernails because I half expected them to have cake and frosting packed under them.  It was one of those dreams that feel that real.  

Any thoughts on what might have caused me to dream this?


3 comments:

  1. Hi! I have been reading your blog for a while- I found it through someone's blog on the WW site, I believe. You are such an inspiration! Just wanted to let you know I have the same dreams- and it is only when I am doing really well about watching what I eat. I have never had them when I am actually going through a binge stage. Only when I am on track. And yes! They feel so real that you wake up angry at yourself. I will even have those moments later on in the day where I have to remind myself it was only a dream! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I am another person who has been reading your blog for awhile, but this is my first time commenting. You are definitely an inspiration! I know you work in the field of addiction, and your dream sounds a lot like a "using dream" that recovering alcoholics/addicts frequently have. Even down to the huge sense of relief when you woke up and realized the dream wasn't real. I also know that addicts sometime have using dreams that are different from the way they actually used when in active addiction. I am not saying that you are a food addict, it was just a similarity I noticed. Anyway, just my two cents.

    Keep up the awesome work!
    -Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to both of you for reading and commenting! Lindsey - glad to know that I'm not the only one that has had this experience. And Amanda, I agree 100% that it was extremely similar to a "drug dream".

    But boy, it was a huge relief when I realized it hadn't really happened!

    Jen

    ReplyDelete