Friday, January 4, 2013

Get out of the box...

Did I ever tell you guys this story?  When I run on my lunch hour I take a route that leads me away from my workplace, then I cross over a block just over a mile up and head back towards my work.  So I was running during the heat of the summer and when I got back, a co-worker asked me how my run went.  I told her that there was a nice breeze on Washington Street (which leads away) but then when I crossed over to Sherman Street (the road that leads back) that there was no breeze at all and the heat was oppressive.   

So this co-worker says to me "Why didn't you just cross back over to Washington Street and run back that way?"  I just stared at her with a stupid expression on my face.  Why?  Because it NEVER occurred to me to cross back over because that's not my scheduled route!!  Doesn't that sound crazy?  But seriously, I truly never even thought of that.

I've talked here before about my rigidity and obsessive-compulsive type thinking.  One of my goals for 2013 is to change that.  I want to be able to be more flexible in lots of areas of my life.  I want to be able to think outside of the box about problems and issues that I am having.  I tend to be an ALL OR NOTHING type thinker.  It's why I panic when my weight goes up a bit.  Because I see myself as either a "fat pig" or "skinny":  That's not true, of course!  There are lots and lots of pounds between these 2 extremes.  But I don't see that.

I know that it sounds so simple, but what I posted about yesterday - realizing that I could set my alarm to get up just a few minutes earlier - that was a breakthrough for me!  I want to be more free thinking, more creative, more relaxed.  

I believe that being these things can make me more successful in lots of area of my life.  I know a lot of you out there can identify with this.  What areas of your life need improving and what "out of the box" thinking can you do to get yourself there?  

Where can you save a little bit of money for example?  Many people want to save huge chunks, and if they don't have that they just spend the small about they do have thinking it's not worth it.  Do you stop for coffee every morning?  Then you are throwing money down the drain - it's so much cheaper to brew at home.  Not willing to give it up completely?  Can you commit to not buying coffee out 2 days a week?  And put that money to the side?    You'll be shocked at how fast it adds up.  

Together, let's strive to find the grey!!


No comments:

Post a Comment