Friday, November 28, 2014

I’ll take victories where I can get them…

How did everyone make out yesterday?  Did you stick to the plan – whatever plan you made?

I didn’t weigh myself yesterday morning.  From Wednesday’s weigh in I knew that I failed in my goal and although seeing the actual number shouldn’t have mattered, it would have.

I started the day by cooking some things up for one of the dishes I was bringing to Thanksgiving dinner – a crock pot wild rice and mushroom stuffing.  Cooking onions at 7 AM isn’t exactly my idea of a good time, but it had to be done to get in the crockpot before we left for the race.

With all that cooked and into the crockpot, I got ready to run.  I haven’t done a lot of 5K’s and was looking forward to the shorter, fun race.

race

We got to the place and it was PACKED.  It was a cold day and there was some slush on the roads from the previous night’s small snowfall.

We lined up – packed shoulder to shoulder – and they saw us off with a loud horn.  It was a little slippery and about .5 miles in, we headed down a steep downhill and I am always SO afraid of falling that I slowed wayyyyyy up and people went FLYING by me.  But on the straight away, I gassed it up.

I was surprised and thrilled that with my Achilles and how I haven’t been running as much and when I have it’s been slow on the treadmill, that I felt STRONG.  About 2 miles in, I felt like I was flying!  I didn’t look at my Garmin, preferring to just run with the crowd – and listen to the spectators yell “Love your tutu!!”

Before I knew it, the finish line was out in front of me and I had some in the tank and sprinted. 

My time?  25:02!  Not too shabby right?  I mean, for what I’ve been dealing with and the conditions?  I’m going to say that while I failed in my weight goal, I succeeded in my racing.

I came in 135th – BUT it was out of 643 people – including the teenage boy who won coming in at – get this – 16:04!! 

I was a little heartbroken to see that I came in 4th in my age group – just barely nudging me out of a medal!!

In good spirits we headed home to shower, get ready and make a couple of other dishes for Thanksgiving.

We spent the rest of the day with Marc’s family, and I ate way way way too much, but I had planned on this.

I now have to decide what happens between now and Christmas.  I know that I need to lose weight – but I’ve known this for months and haven’t done anything about it.

Many people make it a goal to MAINTAIN during this period and then get on to losing after the holidays.

Fill me in guys – what are you going to do for the season?

holiday_eating2

No comments:

Post a Comment