Sunday, June 1, 2014

Work and play...

This weekend I tried to find balance between "play" and work.  I'm getting more skilled at finding this balance.  When I was fat I feel like I didn't always accomplish much even though I wasn't working.  When I think of the hours spent screwing around playing games on the computer?  I get SO MAD that I wasted time like that.

Saturday we headed to SUNY Oswego.  That's the school where I got my Master's Degree from.  However, I have actually only been on the campus 3 times - once to interview to get accepted into the program, once to take my finals, and once when renowned serial killer expert Robert Ressler came there to speak!  I had the luck of taking all of my classes at the local community college that worked out a deal to have the SUNY professors come there in the evenings to teach the Master's classes.

Anyway, I found some hiking trails near there and we headed down with the dogs for an eventful day of hiking.  I was thrilled that these ended up being my favorite types of hiking trails - dirt trails through woods with some steep climbs and also some peaceful walking on grass through meadows. 





























It was a nearly perfect day.

Then today I got up to do my "long run".   The weather was AMAZING.  So I am NOT, I repeat NOT complaining!  BUT, the truth is when you have been running in temps of the high 50's and mostly cloudy?  Running in the mid 70's with humidity takes some getting used to.  It definitely was not my most graceful run, and I had to stop more times then I would like to gulp down some water.  

But I managed 14 miles and I am so happy that I was able to start June off right!  

The rest of the day brought planting and then, blissfully, Marc and I laid in the heat in our hammock and just enjoyed the gorgeous weather.

I also washed my sheets and the comforter and let the comforter dry in the wind.  I mention this only because I can't be the only one who LOVES freshly cleaned and sweet smelling sheets!  And when I lay down in those sheets tonight, I will feel good about what I did this weekend. 

I wish that I had a way to bottle feelings like this to take out during dark moments.  But for now, I'll hold onto this serenity as long as I possible can...

I hope your start to June was as good as mine was!!  Fill me in!

1 comment:

  1. It's really important to find the balance between work and not-work. I was raised with a mindset that, if you're awake, you should be doing something productive. Rare was the day that I was permitted to sit around and read a book. Now, I did plenty of playing outside, but otherwise there were Things To Be Done. It has taken me a while to get over that. Sometimes you just need to recharge, and lay in the hammock. And not feel guilty. There is nothing wrong with a few games of solitaire on the computer. Not 30 or 40, maybe, but a few. :)

    ReplyDelete