Tuesday, December 31, 2013

A year to live dangerously!

Well, it's time to say goodbye to 2013.  2012 was a whirlwind with the surgery and hitting my goal weight.  So 2013 became the year to settle into this new life and see what I could do with it.  

So let's see, weight wise I was able to maintain a 225 pound weight loss.  I had some wild and wacky fluctuations during this time - getting as low as 113 (for a minute after a long run) and as high as 130 (YOWZA!  That was the day after Xmas).  But for the most part I've hovered 117-120.  Since I hit goal in July 2012, that means that I've been a "maintainer" for 17 months.  Pretty good!

2013 was a year for running.  I ran my first official half-marathon and then I ran another!  I did some shorter races and did pretty well.  But mostly I ran to keep in shape and just to run.  According to Runkeeper, where I log all my running, I ran 1,502 miles in 2013.  That includes today's 7 mile run.  And, if you add in walking and hiking, I traveled 1,953 miles this year.  

I asked yesterday on my associated Facebook page what accomplishments the readers were proud of for 2013.  There were some fantastic answers - like starting a new business, moving, losing weight!  In comparison, I see my life as pretty plain - pretty boring.  

In some ways, boring is a good thing - I mean, it's much better then some types of "excitement" that can mean emotional upheavals.  But...

So here goes, I an officially stating that 2014 shall be The Year of Living Dangerously!  Don't get me wrong - I'm not throwing eating well and exercising out the window.  But when I stepped on the scale this morning and it read 118.9 - not quite 2 pounds over this date 1 year ago AND within my defined goals, I though about this year.  I especially remembered the grand MELT DOWN of September - when I gained a few pounds over vacation and convinced myself that it was a disaster.  Or when I missed a workout and spent hours telling myself what a rotten fat piece of shit I am.  
 
So maybe it's time I stop defining myself as someone who was, once upon a time, morbidly obese.  Maybe I need to stop waiting for the inevitable crash.  Or worrying constantly about gaining weight back.

Maybe now is the time to just live a happy life.  And that will include food.  There is a fine line between getting cocky and being confident.  Let's see how long - and how well - I can do this experiment.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment