Friday, August 21, 2015

Earn it or work it?

"Eat to live, don't live to eat."
"Don't reward yourself with food, you're not a dog."
Yeah.  While I don't necessarily disagree with either of these statements, they have never been - and let's face it - they never will be my reality.

Nope.  Food is always going to be an important part of my life.  And it's always going to be currency - a way I reward or punish myself.  

Healthy?  Probably not.  But I thought for a while that revolutionarily changing my body would magically resolve my food issues.  BZZZZZZZZ..... Thank you for playing!  So accepting this dysfunction and trying to be as healthy as I can within it is my goal.

Anyway I was thinking about those of us that use food in our reward systems.  I've noticed that that there are 2 types of people - those who give themselves a treat knowing that they will have to either work it off with exercise or eat less later to "make up" for the indulgence.

Then there are those who hope to give themselves a treat, but have to "earn it" first by either exercising or eating less so they have a calorie deficit and can treat themselves.  

I have noticed that - not exclusively of course - men seem to fall in category 1.  They'll drink their beers or eat that burger and then force themselves to hit the gym and work it off.

I fall solidly in category 2.  I HATE owing.  I definitely want to work it and then - if I've been "good enough" I can have the treat.

Take today - someone had brought in to work Hershey's Dark Chocolate Kisses.  I'm not normally a chocolate person, but I've been craving chocolate!  I took one of those kisses and brought it back to my desk.  And stared at it.  And promised myself after my lunch run I could have it.

And when I decided it was too windy to run, I told myself I could walk, but there would be no Kiss for me when I got back.  So I changed and ran.  I thought about how far was "fair" to earn me that one small piece of chocolate.  Turns out the answer was 6 miles.  And I happily ate that Kiss when I got back.  

Because I EARNED it!

So do you earn your treats or work them off??




ARF! ARF!!

No comments:

Post a Comment