Monday, February 10, 2014

Fruitlessly flapping my wings....


I LOVE the musical "Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street"!  In this musical, a female character who is being held against her will in a house sees a man selling birds on the street and she sings:

"How is it you sing?
How can you jubilate
sitting in cages
never taking wing?
Outside the sky waits
beckoning!
Beckoning!
Just beyond the bars...
How can you remain 
staring at the rain
maddened by the stars?
How is it you sing
anything?
How is it you sing?"

Right now I feel like a bird trapped in a cage but I am desperately trying to sing.  Normally this is the part where I bitch and moan about living in Northern NY and how much I hate it and the weather.  But I can't even do that this year, because just about everyone is getting nailed with this miserable winter that just won't end.

I keep thinking that there HAS to be a light at the end of the tunnel!  There has to be some warm weather coming!  And then I look at the extended forecast and it calls for DAY AFTER DAY of cold weather and snow.  

I am lucky enough to have a home gym.  But after running on the treadmill YET AGAIN yesterday and staring out my window at work and not seeing anything except a huge pile of snow on the ledge?  I just feel trapped.  

It has given me an opportunity to evaluate my goals and where I am at right now.  I am endlessly hovering around 121 pounds.  I thought last night that I need to put the scale away for a while, because getting as worked up as I do about NUMBERS is counter-productive, especially since my clothes still fit and I have to believe that these 3-4 pounds that I am over my ideal will come off as soon as I can get outside more.  Or they won't.  And the world will not end, right?

I hope you all are hanging in there.  And if you're one of the lucky ones who actually LIKES the winter and you are out skiing and snow-shoeing, I envy you.

But the first person in the summer who bitches about it being too hot?  I'm punching them straight in the face!!!    

2 comments:

  1. We are having NO winter here and we are bitching as bad as people who are getting it....we are in drought and very high fire season ahead...thou our weather is to be envied it is a mix of feelings.
    Started my pt this week and have a lot to regain.NO running for several more months....they cut bones and they do not wanting me jarring them...But am now able to use my elliptical...I hate it but FEEL so lucky to be able to use it.Did 40 min today and an hour of walking.I have lots of hard work ahead as of this morning right at 10 lbs gain.I am devastated but did it to myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that hyou guys need rain terribly! I burn ALMOST as many calories in a hour on the elliptical as I do as running according to my heart rate monitor so being able to do that is fantastic news!!

      Just let you body heal and take care of yourself Gayle! I know I'm just as bad, but you have more important things to worry about right now!!!

      Jen

      Delete