Saturday, April 28, 2012

The importance of support.

Yesterday, my co-worker Jessie stopped by after work.  She had bought me a really cool bracelet with an inspirational saying on it.  She and 2 other co-workers had also chipped in for a gift card for me, plus she had a card from another group of co-workers.  How awesome is that?   Not to mention the plant my grandmother sent me, plus both my mother and sister-in-law bringing dinner for us during my recuperation!

I feel so incredibly lucky in the support I have gotten.  Not from just this surgery but over the last 2 years of losing weight and the trials and tribulations of learning to become a runner and learning to adjust to healthy eating patterns.  Everyone in my life has been so supportive, from family, to co-workers, to complete strangers I "met" on the internet, the amount of support has been almost overwhelming at times.  I can't imagine how sick and tired people must get of me talking about weight loss and calories and exercise!

When I was contemplating this surgery, I expected at least someone to say something rude to me about it, since it is, after all, cosmetic surgery.  I truly believe that it is my fault that I ended up so fat, so I don't expect accolades for losing the weight.  Wouldn't it have been better if I never got so fat in the first place?  Then I wouldn't have even needed surgery!  But most people don't see it that way- at least they don't voice it to me. 

Of course my biggest support is my husband, Marc.  I will never be able to repay the support he has given me over the last 2 years.  He loved me when I was at my heaviest, he loves me now, and he loved me at every stage in between.  AND he has had to put up with a lot in general during this journey, and then add on all he has had to do for me while I am mending.  

Since I have been on a lot of weight loss support sites, plus talking to people in my life that are trying to make life changes, I have an idea of what it is like when friends and family don't support big changes.  It makes the change 10 times harder.  

I am a big believer in KARMA, so I hope that all the good that is bouncing back to me during this time means that I've got good karma that I've put into the universe and I promise the universe that I will continue to be the very best person I can possibly be.

And to everyone who has supported me, THANK YOU!


2 comments:

  1. I have just found your blog searching for something like this after scheduling my procedure for July 6, 2012. This entry has meant the most to me so far, and I thank you for sharing it. I am having a lot of "guilt" with this decision feeling like "I don't desearve it" and spending this much money on myself. But I really am ready now (I originally went in November to schedule)and I want you to know how how much reading your posts are meaning to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy - so glad you are enjoying my ramblings and I wish you good luck on your surgery!

    Jen

    ReplyDelete