Sunday, April 1, 2012

I am a RUNNER!

Never thought I would ever use those words, but this journey has made me a runner.  I ran my first outside mile last May (I had been running on the treadmill).  I love running and I hate it at the same time.  I almost NEVER want to go out and run, but I feel so AWESOME afterwards.

When I first started, I would run a mile in about 15 minutes.  Gradually I ran more and as I ran more, my time improved.  I remember thinking 3 miles was SO FAR.  

Today I ran 8 miles in the cold drizzly rain.  My times have improved DRAMATICALLY - I have gone from this winter running a 10:30-11 minute mile to running the 8 in 75 minutes this morning - that's less then 9:30 MM.  I'm not trying to force faster times either, it's just happening.  This is why I am so worried about not being able to exercise for 6 weeks!  I'm really making some dramatic gains, and I don't want to take a step backwards.

Here's the best part - in addition to all the good things about getting fit - for my heart, lungs and muscles - I wear a heart rate monitor on my run and I burned 883 calories running today!!  That's gives me a ton of leeway to eat more calories and still lose weight.

By the way, I'm had a huge WOOSH today and have lost 2 more pounds.  I actually saw 135 on the scale but I can't count it because it was right after my run and I'm always down a lot after running.

No comments:

Post a Comment