Saturday, March 15, 2014

Shamrock Run

Today Marc and I raced in the 5 Mile Shamrock Run.  I was really looking forward to this and was hoping the weather would cooperate.  I must be out of my fucking mind to have actually thought it might be a nice day after the HELL that has been this winter!!

Sure enough, we awoke to a rain snow combination and it was really windy.  And I was thinking as we headed out - we are PAYING to run in this crap!!

So here we are before we left - as part of my anniversary gift, Marc got me a RUNNING TUTU!!  It would have been more visible if I didn't have to have a thick jacket on, DAMMIT.
 We got there early and this race was part of the Irish Festival so we headed into the nearby building to keep warm.  The vendors were still setting up so not much to see.
Finally we went outside.  For ONCE I got smart and lined up near the front.  And after 6 minutes of jogging in place the gun mercifully went off.  I took off but right away but as soon as we started, the snow picked up.  It was a miserably cold and wet snow and it was blowing RIGHT INTO our faces.  By the time we hit a mile my legs felt like LEAD.  We were out of the city and into a more rural area so there was nothing to protect from the wind.  I was panting hard and trying to wipe the wet snow that was sticking to my face.  About 1 1/2 miles in we ran up a STEEP hill.

This is the first time EVER in a race that I seriously thought that I was going to quit.  My chest was ACHING and I couldn't feel my feet or my hands.  The gloves I was wearing were soaked through.  I was near the front of the pack and was about 2.10 miles in when the first place guy past me having already made the turnaround.  He was in tiny little shorts and a sleeveless running t-shirt.  INSANE!!

I pushed on and made the turnaround.  With the wind at my back it was like I had entered a different race.  I immediately started to warm up and the feeling returned to both my hands and feet.  Normally that doesn't happen once I've been so cold, but that wind was blowing so freaking hard that it made that much of a difference!

My goal was to finish under 40 minutes.  I made the turn towards the finish line and crossed at 38:51.  So I made my goal.  

I waited outside for Marc who finished a few minutes after me.  There were so many runners and a bunch of walkers doing a 2.5 mile so I had absolutely no idea where I placed.
In a GLOWING testament to how smart people sometimes do very dumb things, I didn't change into dry clothes and instead went back into the main building where they would be handing out awards.  I was soaked to the bone and soon was shivering uncontrollably.  
They started the awards.  I took 2nd place in my age group.  Blah :(  Out of 392 total racers, I finished 60th.
The 2nd place finish did get me some new hardware for my medals box.  

No comments:

Post a Comment