Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Taking stock...

Two weeks from today most of us will be celebrating Christmas.  Before you know it, it will be here and over with.  And then just one short week later we'll be in the year 2013!!

I have been encouraging everyone to stay on plan as much as possible through the holiday season.  But since I know many of us - including myself - are finding this challenging and the temptation is just to say "I'll start brand new in the New Year" I think now is a good time to take stock of where you are.

They did a study with smokers and had them pick a "quit date".  That date was a few weeks away.  But they had the smokers remind themselves daily of this quit date.  And the smokers that did this were more likely to stay quit long term then smokers who decided to quit and immediately tried.  So it's possible that having a commitment to start living a healthy lifestyle on 1/1/13 could actually work.  

First off, let's NOT talk about it being a New Year's Resolution.  Those things are trite and non-specific and people generally fail.  

Here's what I want us all to do - you know me and my lists - either get out pen and paper or create a table on your computer.  I want you to make a list of things that you wanted to accomplish in 2012.  Now take a look at what you WERE able to accomplish and what you WERE NOT successful at accomplishing.  Now let's take a look at WHY some things were obtained and why some things were not.  Are you in touch with this?  I think that it's very important to find out why you succeeded and why you failed BEFORE you start making a list of goals for next year.

Let's not just look at this in terms of "weight loss".  Take a look at your life.  Eating, exercise, relationships, organization, sleep, work - it all is part of the puzzle and we need to look at these and where our deficits are.

Get this done today and we'll talk about setting goals tomorrow! 



No comments:

Post a Comment