Saturday, April 18, 2015

Chicken shit!!

Nooope – I’m not calling anyone a coward here.  I’m talking real and actual chicken shit!

I realize that most of you won’t have any interest in this post, but I worked my ASS off today and I’m going to talk about it.

I clean out the coop thoroughly every spring.  This long hard winter meant that our chickens were held captive in the coop 24/7 most of the winter.  So the coop was incredibly packed with crap and shavings.  Today was the day I chose to get it all cleaned out.

This is what it looked like. 

IMG_6384

I began raking and shoveling.  The chickens were distraught over me being in there – although 3 snuck in and laid eggs in the nesting boxes while I was working.

I would shovel everything into a wagon we can attach to our tractor.  It took 4 1/2 loads an each load – I counted – took about 80 shovels full.

After 2 loads gone:

IMG_6386

The smell was fantasticNOT!

Marc would then drive the tractor over to a spot on our land and dump it all to rot in peace.

IMG_6388

Finally it was all cleared out.

IMG_6390

The next task was to scrub the walls down with soap and bleach.  This is especially important when you’re putting new baby chicks in to the coop.  Thanks to Tony’s parting gift, we have 16 hens and didn’t get any new babies, but I still needed to get the walls reasonably clean from all the sprayed poopage.

IMG_6393

With that done, the easy part was to lay new shavings and put all the food and water dishes back.

IMG_6395

It took a full 3 1/2 hours to get this done.  But I feel accomplished and I think I just **might** have burned a few calories!!

Welcome to the glamorous life I lead!!

No comments:

Post a Comment