Thursday, March 19, 2015

What’s in a number?

I've talked before of thinking of calories like money.  So if you only have a certain amount to spend in a day, you have to decide how to spend it.  There is no science or right or wrong to this, but you have to find what works for you.

For me, it's important to get VOLUME - I can eat a small amount and feel SO HUNGRY a short time later even if it has the same calorie count of something that is much larger.  My belly wants to be full.

I also find that protein fills me up.  Because I lift weights, it's important to get that protein in to build muscle.

So the numbers - I was thinking about them today.  For our morning meeting someone brought in a box of macaroons from Walmart.  I don't even care for macaroons that much - but when has that ever stopped me from wanting to stuff something sweet in my face.

As I often do, I grabbed the box, flipped it over, and looked at the calories.  Seeing the cold hard numbers usually helps me say no.  Serving size - 2 cookies.  140 calories.  That helped me throw the box back down.  That price was to steep for me.

At lunch I pulled out what I had packed and surveyed it.  Here is part of my lunch.

both

It's kale - 90 calories worth.

And here is a 70 calorie macaroon.

macaroon

Let's see what they look like hanging out together.

kale

Things like this, unfortunately, don't make me not WANT the cookie, but it does help me make the better and smarter CHOICE.

No comments:

Post a Comment