Saturday, March 14, 2015

Shamrock Run

Today was the Shamrock Run.  A 5 mile run that ends near our state office building where they hold the annual Irish Festival.

Last year was my first year running it and it was a miserable experience.  It was cold with sleet raining down, high winds and the roads got icy. 

As you know from yesterday’s post I was having anxiety about running this.  But last night we were watching the series True Detective and Woody Harrelson’s character was talking about life and one day looking back and realizing your life had slipped through your fingers like sand.

It was an ah-ha moment for me.  I suddenly was asking myself why I had anxiety instead of being joyful at the opportunity to get out and have a fun time.

I slept easy – which never happens to me before a race.

I woke up to grey skies, but temps in the upper 30’s and, blissfully, no wind.  The rain would hold off, I was sure of it.

I got ready and headed out.


I got there and saw many runners from other events – who recognized the tutu, I’m sure and not me!

I was the most serene and relaxed I have ever been at a race and when the horn sounded I took off at a relaxed and easy pace.  There were 323 runners so we were packed in pretty good.  I concentrated on NOT pushing myself.  I was not wearing headphones and tried to listen to my body. 


The first mile went quickly and when my Garmin beeped, I saw that it was an 8:22 minute mile.  Not too bad.

Mile 2 was ok, but from there to 2.5 was a steep uphill climb – “Dude, do we really have to run that hill??” the teenager running near me and his friend as we looked ahead to it looming in front of us.

But as we rounded the corner, I said “Ah!  Now the downhill starts!” and a few near me nodded.

Mile 3 I felt a side stitch hit me.  This could have either been leftover effects from the viral infection or that I was running much faster then I have been on the treadmill.  Or maybe both.  I ran both mile 2 and 3 at a sub 8 minute pace.

So mile 3 sucked pretty bad, but at the end of it, there was someone with a megaphone yelling “1 more mile!”  The stitch disappeared.  I was happy and still relaxed.

And then, there the finish line stood and I pushed to get across it coming in at 38:31. 

I came in 82nd overall.  And I won a 3rd place medal for my age group.


Not amazing or wonderful, but satisfactory.  I feel pretty good tonight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment