Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Weighing benefits versus rewards

Let's see - in a perfect world I would eat only things that are completely healthy and wonderful.  But I certainly don't live in a perfect world.

Now don't get me wrong - I try my best to eat mostly healthy - fresh veggies, fruit, meats - but sometimes you have to weigh the benefits of eating something versus the risks.

One of the big controversies is artificial sweeteners.  Some people are convinced they cause all kinds of ailments and are positively horrible for you.  And let's get real - they probably aren't good to eat in mass quantities.

Yet I eat a Dannon Greek yogurt almost every night - for 80 calories.  It is high in protein and satisfies my sweet tooth – and it has artificial sweeteners.

As does the fake maple syrup I use – Mrs. Butterworth’s Sugar Free.  But it has only 20 calories for a 1/4 cup.  That’s worth it to me even though it’s probably not the healthiest choice.

And then for lunch once per week I eat canned soup – usually Progresso light.  Canned soup has a lot of sodium.  But it’s fast and easy and better then getting a Big Mac!  But certainly not as healthy as if I made my own soup.

And my beloved peanut butter? It’s not the natural kind.

I try to buy the “better” option – like I use Hunt’s Natural Ketchup with no high fructose corn syrup.  But is ketchup really all that healthy?  Probably not- but I love it on my scrambled eggs.

How about “real” food.  Red meat is terrible for you, right?  Well I try to limit my red meat intake, but once again, it’s high in protein and I enjoy a thick steak once and a while. 

I guess each individual person has to weigh what they consider to be a good food choice and fit that into their goals.

What are your thoughts on this?

life-expect

3 comments:

  1. I am totally with you on this one! I use Splenda in my coffee, eat canned soup nearly every weekday at work for lunch, and am not above enjoying a burger or steak once in a while. On the other hand, I generally make homemade soup on occasion for my family, try to cook with healthy, "real" ingredients, and get lots of fruits and veggies in my day. I think moderation and balance are the biggest keys to keeping weight off once it's lost. I've done the deprivation diet thing more times than I care to admit, using methods that are not sustainable for me long-term. I reach goal and immediately go back to my old ways, because I'm tired of feeling like I'm being punished. I started Myfitnesspal 2 years ago and developed a healthy eating plan that includes occasional treats, sometimes processed foods, and yes, Diet Coke! I've lost 73 lbs and have been able to get stronger and healthier than I've ever been. I say we all have to do what works for us...and if that means you eating Mrs. Butterworths Sugar Free syrup, then rock on Lady!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too agree"....it's kinda like choose your battles and do what you can

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire people with the discipline to eat totally healthy. But it's great to know that others have found success making choices that work!

    Jen

    ReplyDelete