Monday, September 15, 2014

Adventures in biking…

I know you are all just DYING to know how the ride went yesterday so let me fill you in.  The day dawned sunny but cold. Fortunately i have all the cold weather gear so that didn't deter me.  I first required a lesson on gear shifting.  My last bike I think was a 3 speed.  This is a 21 speed with 7 rear gears and 3 front.  So Marc and I went through what to use and when.

IMG_3099

I could tell Marc was nervous about me riding so he had to give me some extra tutorials - like what to do if I went off the road (many of the roads around us don't have shoulders).  And then we were off.

I was concerned that I might have balance issues - but that was no problem at all.  The shifting took - and will continue to take - some getting used to and some finesse.  But I caught on relatively quickly.  What also took getting used to?  Riding on the opposite side of the road then what I run!

IMG_3108

The traffic was light so Marc and I rode side by side for most of the ride - which was awesome!!  For many people who run, they LOVE the quiet, solitary time while they are running.  Me?  I HATE that part of running.  To be able to interact with someone while going was wonderful!

I asked Marc how far we should go and he left that up to me.  I decided to start on the route I used to do ( Sad smile ) on my long runs.  Having run this same route so many times, hearing my Garmin beep as the miles FLEW by was so weird.  We got into the nearby village at 8 miles and I told Marc I wanted to continue a longer route rather then head right back home.  He asked if I was sure because that would mean the long and vicious hill that we would have to tackle.  I was cocky at this point and what's the worst that could happen?  I'd have to walk the bike up the hill, right?

We hit this hill at just over 10.5 miles. I had both my gears at 1- I huffed and puffed and almost had a stroke but I made it up!!  Marc waited at the top for me.

We were then headed towards home but took another detour to extend the ride.  I was definitely slowing down, but still felt good.  I felt bad for Marc having to slow his roll, though!

We ended up at 21 miles in just over 1.5 hours.  That's an average of just over 13 mph.  Not great but considering I haven't ridden in 25 years, not too bad!

No pain in the hamstring but - interestingly - it bothered my knee some.  That's what everyone worries about with running but I have no knee issues when running.  Not surprisingly my ass started to hurt - padded bike shorts are on my to buy list!  Any of you bikers out there - looking for recommendations!!

The biggest disappointment was the calorie burn.  A measly 550 calories.  I burn that running in under an hour!!

It was really fun to do something different and to spend time with Marc.  So the jury is still out, but overall it was a great first outing!!!

1 comment:

  1. Off to a good start! How nice that you can share biking with Marc!!!

    ReplyDelete