Monday, August 18, 2014

The 3 R’s…

You know how in school they taught the 3 r’s – Reading, wRiting and ‘Rithmitic?  This weekend I had my own 3 R’s.  Relaxing, Reflecting and Rebooting.

To say I’m been having a rough time mentally as well as physically lately is an understatement.  Marc and I had planned months ago for this weekend to involve a trip down to his niece and nephew’s outside of Albany.  It worked out perfectly that this was the weekend we chose given that I couldn’t run and was in desperate need of some time to get my head together. 

We had a wonderful time.  It seems that people my age now are at the exact right age that they are – rightly so – totally involved in their children’s lives.  So talk of baseball games and back to school shopping and trips to the local waterpark dominate conversations.

I certainly want to listen to some of the stories, but I don’t have kids – and I don’t LIKE kids – so at some point my eyes start to glaze over.  Yes, I am a horrible person.

Marc’s niece and nephew don’t have kids either and they have a dog and a cat that are their pseudo-children, so they totally get it.

And for them – like for us – an afternoon hiking and then finding a large creek where we could watch the dogs play in the water – is ideal. 

We hiked a place called Vroman’s Nose  on Saturday and just enjoyed the day.

IMG_3383

 

 

 

 

IMG_3397

 

 

 

 

IMG_3444

 

 

 

 

We spent the weekend with no agenda, no pressure and just doing what we felt like.  We chatted and hung out and watched movies.

And we ate.  I can’t even calculate the thousands of calories I consumed this weekend.  I feel guilty and I feel liberated.  I want to think that this was a send off of summer as it was our last big plans before September hits.  That at least is my rationalization.

I spent some time reflecting on where I am in my life, and what my goals are. 

We arrived home late yesterday and today starts my reboot.  In film a reboot is “something that is being re-started or revived”.   I now have even more weight to lose.  So I simply have to get back on track.  And I have gone 7 days without running and I’m going to try running this morning.  And if I have to walk some of it for any reason, I’m going to try not freak out and instead see it as a reboot – I’m starting over.

All my success started somewhere and if I did it once, I can do it again.  I’m not starting from scratch, but I am in the hole.  So here I go…

And I hope I succeed…

No comments:

Post a Comment