Saturday, August 30, 2014

Body composition.

strong

Have you guys seen this phrase lately?  I’ve seen it all over.  There is a backlash against these super skinny models and actresses and women everywhere seem to be embracing muscles and strength.

As you guys know, since I started this journey I have done both weight lifting and cardio.  I’ve never been what I think of  as “skinny”.  However, at my lowest weight, while I had muscles, I think I could maybe be defined as lean?

Now I have gained weight.  How much – well, I’ll know soon enough – 1 week from today.

I also know that not all of that weight is fat.  I have definitely gained some muscle.  Since I haven't been able to run as much, I’ve noticed that I can lift heavier and faster. 

My back has more defined muscles.  And just yesterday I went and lifted one of those huge spring water jugs from the floor and popped it on the machine easily while a co-worker watched in shock.

The runner in me definitely does not like this extra weight.  It is hard to tell how much is from the extra weight and how much is from the injury, but my times are are suffering and running feels more like an effort – even when there is little pain.

But the weight lifter side of me notices that lifting and squatting and all those things are SO much easier.  Wednesday I did legs and back.  I did 10 sets of 20 kettlebell swings!  Kettlebell swings are HARD and are normally a killer.  I certainly won’t say it was easy, but it was definitely less hard. 

But I look – thicker.  I know there are some women who like that thicker, more muscular look.  I’m not sure that I do.  And if I can heal and get back into running, I would probably get more lean again – which would mean sacrificing strength and losing some muscle.

What are your thoughts on STRONG versus LEAN?

2 comments:

  1. They are different looks but both attractive!
    Which do you think is healthier?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto...now running 2 1/2 miles lifting still am thicker but strong! Miss lean but.... Not bad for 62........never give up OR in

    ReplyDelete