Friday, July 12, 2013

Somewhere in a parallel universe....

This has been an interesting week.  My days have been pretty much consumed with working outside all day.  I have been weeding and mowing and planting and generally working with my hands and body.  And there's been something SO satisfying about this.

Landscaping is a great job for someone who likes instant gratification like I do.  There's just something about looking at say a flower bed - covered in weeds - and to just work on it for a couple of hours and have it look completely and totally cleaned up and different.

And then to come in at the end of the day - grimy and exhausted - and to wash off the days work and fall into bed completely tired and fall instantly asleep...It's a good thing.

My every day job is so different then this - working in an air conditioned office.  Using the computer and doing paperwork.  Don't get me wrong - I love counseling and there is a lot to be said about working to help someone change his or her life.  But there's not the instant gratification aspect to it.  And there certainly is no chance that I'm getting dirty and exhausted.

My flower beds look FANTASTIC!  I am so proud of how they have turned out.  Marc and I mowed the lawn yesterday and it looks so neat and clean and precise.

Counting calories?  Forget that!  I've just eaten this week and not worried a bit about how much I am eating.  Because I've been working my ASS off and I know that I've been burning a TON of calories.

Maybe it's the novelty of it and it would soon wear thin.  And maybe I'm having a bit of a mid-life crisis.  But today I am wishing that when I went back to work on Monday it would be doing something with my hands.  Something where my Master's Degree doesn't mean shit.  In a parallel universe somewhere, I am a landscaper, and I love it...


No comments:

Post a Comment