Sunday, July 14, 2013

An interesting family reunion...

I know I posted months ago about having lunch with 2 of my father's brothers and their wives.  At the time, we talked about how everyone always says that we should get together, but it never happens.  So I pulled out my calendar and said "July 13th - my house, we're doing this!"  And so it was scheduled.

To my surprise pretty much the whole "fam damily" as we say, came!  It was a perfect day weather wise!  I had a great time and I think everyone else did, too.  

We don't see this side a lot, but there was no awkwardness.  But it was clear that they are all close to one another and we are the odd ones out.  It does make me sad, but it is not surprising given how long my dad has been gone.  

For all the bullshit involved in Facebook, though, this is one reason that "social networking" ROCKS.  Not only have we been able to connect with that side, but also I scheduled the event on there and we all communicated what everyone was bringing to the party and directions and anything and everything else.  

An interesting thing is happening - I noticed it yesterday and upon reflecting, I realize that it's happening a lot - not just with family but with other people.  For the last couple of years, I have been known as "The Former Fat Chick Who Lost an Amazing Amount of Weight".  But that seems to be changing.  It seems that almost one year into maintenance, people are getting used to the new me.  Now I seem to be known as "The Chick Who Is Obsessed With Running/Fitness".   

 I had comments yesterday after eating some sweets that I might have to run 16 miles today, right??!!  And laughing.  It's not meant in a nasty way, but it's strange.  How many identities have I had over the past few years?  

A melancholy moment occurred when my father's five siblings posed for a picture with my grandmother.  The ghost of my father was very much there.  I wondered if my grandmother or his siblings were thinking about him at all....

Oh, and in case any of you were wondering, Fat Jen was allowed out of her cage yesterday.  She went to town and sucked up as many sweets and snacks like the world's best Dyson.  But she quietly returned to her cage last night and I've barely heard a peep out of her today....

1 comment:

  1. Glad you had a fun time and that you let FATJen have a little face time. I had an old friend (38 yrs)recently say..Gayle you keep recreating yourself...guess its good as long as its in the positive direction.
    Gayle

    ReplyDelete