Tuesday, August 21, 2012

The importance of attitude...

I know that this is a total cliche, but is this glass half full or half empty?  And, more importantly, who cares?  Well let me just say that I have found that on this journey, attitude is SOOOO important.

I work with a woman who is, in truth, a really wonderful person.  However, her attitude most of the time SUCKS.  She always has something to bitch and complain about.  The weather is too hot, she has too much work she has to do, blah blah blah.  It makes people at work not even want to talk to her - even though she is very sweet and the type of person that would do anything for someone she is friends with. 

This attitude translates to her and her attempts at weight loss.  She has TONS of excuses why she is heavy.  She has some physical health issues so it is "impossible" (her words) to exercise.  She is just so incredibly busy that she HAS to eat out 4-5 nights a week.  She makes repeated half-assed efforts at changing things and gives up after 3-4 days.

How do you see things?  Do you celebrate the fact that you've lost 15 pounds or do you lament the fact that you have 60 more to lose?  The way you see things is a CHOICE.   And how you see things directly translates into what you do in your day to day efforts.  If you CHOOSE to be negative, you are more likely to give up and give in.

There is no doubt that certain people have different challenges.  However, if you want this - if you really really want it - you have to make sacrifices.  Maybe you really can't exercise an hour today.  But you can fit in 15 minutes.  Not having the time is NOT an excuse to say "screw it" and not do anything and eat whatever you want.  If this was easy, everyone would be thin and fit.  How bad - really - do you want it?

I was in a funk a couple of weeks ago and went out to lunch with one of the most fantastic people I have ever had the privilege of knowing.   (Hi Sue!!!)  Here we are going on and on about me and my challenges, when Sue has been battling serious - very serious - health concerns for YEARS.  I came back from that lunch and I was like "Here I am throwing a pity party for myself when there are people who have REAL problems!"  I try to keep that in mind. 



No comments:

Post a Comment