Friday, October 9, 2015

More BEING Less DOING

While at the cabin there was no access to television. We are catching up on shows we missed and last night watched an episode of NCIS: Los Angeles. The character played by LL Cool J is this amazingly physically fit man who eats well and appears to have all his personal shit together (unlike most of the rest of the characters). He is also very “zen” and has constants words of wisdom about how to improve your life.

I have no idea if this is what LL Cool J is like in “real life”. Well, clearly he eats well and works out because.... well look at him!!

10-Hottest-Bald-Actors-in-Hollywood_07

Anyway, he was talking to another character and told her that a key for her is “More being, Less doing”

That phrase really struck home with me. Especially this week when I am striving to be more in touch with myself and more zen in a desire to stress less and have a positive impact on my weight.

As I was thinking about this phrase I was also thinking about this recovering alcoholic I used to know. She was very bright, a musician and very much a “hippie”. She was always talking about what life is like now especially for kids. How so much of their life is experiencing things virtually rather than actually experiencing it. Like playing a video game of baseball rather than having a bat in their hands and FEELING the ball and the bat hit each other and having the feeling of actually running the bases.

While this certainly contributes to the obesity epidemic, she was looking at it more from I guess a spiritual aspect. How people just float through life without truly experiencing it.

I always thought there was something to this, and was very impressed with her insight. I was still obese at the time and thought of her statement primarily applying to kids.

But as I was thinking about that phrase “More being, less doing” I was thinking about myself and my weight battles. Thinking about mindlessly standing at the cupboard eating - not really hungry, not even focusing on the taste of the food - just doing it instead of being mindful and present on what was happening. Or the times that I have sat in front of the television at night scarfing down dinner almost not tasting it - not being present - and then feeling unsatisfied when it was gone.

Even with exercise I sometimes find myself wishing it was over before it has even started and trying to “zone out” during a walk or a run because it has become solely about burning calories instead of enjoying the journey so to speak.

I wonder if truly focusing on being in the moment, in the experience - every experience - could help with my weight. To not look for something to provide momentary pleasure on a very primitive level the way that say chocolate does - but rather to be fully engaged in experiences that I truly derive pleasure from. If this would increase my sense of being instead of just doing things for the sake of doing them?

If that happened would that mean I would be more positive, more self satisfied and – ideally – thinner?

8075057219_8e2bd81e45_b

No comments:

Post a Comment