Sunday, October 4, 2015

Having a superpower…

funny-quotes-about-super-powers

Those of you who have read this blog for a while know that I am a HUGE Stephen King fan.

One of my absolute favorite books by him is Firestarter

So when I was younger and my friends would ardently debate which superpower was best – invisibility, flying, superhuman strength, etc. etc. etc. I wanted something different.

I wanted The Push  like Andy had.  He could basically force someone telepathically to believe something by pushing a thought into their had – like handing someone a $1 bill and saying the them “This is a $20” and they would see a $20.

When I was younger I used to think that would be amazing – to be able to force people to basically see and do things your way.  You could become rich, you could hurt your enemies without anyone knowing.  I’ll admit, there were some bullies in school that I fantasized about making them eat rat poison thinking they were eating a cookie!

For some reason, I was thinking about that book today.  I remembered a part of the book where Andy had become a fat, unproductive drug addict.  One day he kind of came to and – for the first time – pushed – himself.  He fixed himself by making himself change using his “power”.

Wouldn’t that be cool if you could push yourself?  If I could just tell me not to eat so much.  To eat healthy and stop randomly snacking.  To say “That piece of cake is off limits!”  And then – without struggle – without feeling deprived or sorry for myself just DO IT. 

Because that power to tell myself something is there.  I do it ALL THE TIME.  It’s the behavior that doesn’t always follow. 

My best laid plans are made about 11PM at night – as I am drifting off to sleep.  At that time, I know for sure that I will do the right thing the next day and the day after.  But when that day dawns?  The doing is so much harder than the planning.

No comments:

Post a Comment