Tuesday, October 13, 2015

A shot in the dark...

A few years ago a friend of mine said that she wasn't feeling right.  She had a pain in her one breast.  She couldn't feel any lump but she had large, naturally bumpy boobies.  She said something was just wrong.

So she made an appointment where she was examined and had a mammogram done.  They found nothing and gave her a clean bill of health.  When she told the doctor of the pain, the doctor told her - in an almost disgusted and patronizing way - "Cancer doesn't hurt!" She was advised to move on.

After thinking about it for a couple days, my friend decided to get a second opinion and made an appointment at a hospital in another town.  She later told me during the ride down to the appointment that she was telling herself that she was being ridiculous - wasting time and money when she had been told that she was fine.

Guess what?  This hospital found a small lump right where she was complaing of pain.  And yes, it was indeed cancerous.  My friend bravely battled the cancer, going through chemo and radiation.  She even caught it early enough that she was able to keep her breast and has been cancer free for several years now.

Her experience proved to me, as many of us know, we have to be our own best advocates when it comes to our health.  

For a few years I have a been concerned that I have hypothyroidosm.  But every time my blood is tested the levels come back normal.

I was recently reading the symptoms over again.  Things like low energy, constipation, depression, cold intolerance, weight gain, feeling hungry all the time, high LDL levels - these all fit me!  Of course there are other symptoms that don't fit me - like thinning hair - yes my hair remains the one and only part of my body that I actually think looks good!!  And some of the symptoms I do have certainly can be from other reasons.

I further read lots of scholarly articles explaining in complicated medical terms why a person could have normal labs but still have hypothyroidism.  It's apparently not that uncommon.

I thought about making another doctor appointment and asking for the labs to be ordered - AGAIN.  But there's the other part of me that believes I'm just grasping at straws - looking for a medical reason that I am porking up again instead of owning that it's my behavior that's the problem.

So I decided on a happy medium.  I ordered some holistic pills off of Amazon that are supposedly designed to boost the thyroid.  There are some good reviews and since it's all vitamins, I don't think it can hurt.  

So we'll see if this makes any difference - and if I do notice a difference then maybe it's time to make a doctor's appointment.

Or maybe I won't see a difference and I'll admit that the answer has to come from working harder on my shit rather than eating a pill!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment