Monday, December 14, 2015

Predicting the future...

I am not a member of the psychic friends network.  I can’t see what lottery numbers will be drawn – oh, but I SOOOO wish I could!  I don’t know who will win the upcoming Presidential primaries.  (Don’t get me started!)

I don’t know if I’m going to get my shit together or whether I’m just going to keep getting fatter and fatter.

But I can tell you what the future holds in just a couple of short weeks – are you ready?

First let’s look at where we are right now.  My Facebook feed is FULL of cookie and cake recipes.  Colorfully decorated snowman made with so much sugar and butter that I typically gain about 1.7 pounds just scrolling over the fracking recipe!  Pie ideas to serve for Xmas that make the most fit person’s heart seize up with one bite! 

And don’t forget the selfies of people partying – drinking high fat alcohol drinks and eggnog thick enough to choke a horse.  And wonderful looking thick dips and creams served at friends’ Xmas party.

We have a new gym that I walk by twice every day – passing it from where I park into work.  It has 1-2 people that I can see working out in it in the morning and a sprinkling of people in the late afternoon.

But this won’t last!  In just a couple of short weeks, people will be throwing out their Xmas trees and putting on brand spanking new workout clothes.

My Facebook feed will be filled with people post kale recipes.  They’ll be bragging about trying quinoa for the first time.  There will be suggestions of how to freeze healthy recipes for use on a busy weeknight.

And – without a doubt – there will be a ton of people with their new Fitbits crowing about achieving their 10,000 steps.  And the now close to empty gym that I pass will undoubtedly be filled to the brim.

People will be posting that swimsuit season is coming and they want to ROCK a bikini this year.
This is fantastic!!!  And unfortunately, the vast majority of these life changes will be abandoned before Valentine’s Day. 

I don’t want to be that statistic.  I want to make some serious changes and I want them to last, not to be a 5 day commitment which has marked this year.

So I was thinking today that now is the perfect time to make plans.  As I’ve mentioned before research shows that people that focus on a date in the future to make a change – stopping smoking, exercising, etc, have a great success when they have committed to that goal.

The goals need to be small and attainable.  Not “I’m going to lose 100 pounds this year” but “My goal is to weight myself every day and to lose 5 pounds in January.”

So I’m going to start making some goals – slow, small goals that will allow me to get back on track.  

And while I allow myself to enjoy what is left of the holiday season, I’ll keep in mind those goals.


Have you thought about making a list of goals for January?  How about telling us some?


No comments:

Post a Comment