Monday, February 23, 2015

Getting what you wish for…

I went to college with a guy named Scott.  He was living in the dorms but was a few years older then most of us.  When I got to know him I found out why - this was his second college experience.

You see, Scott knew what he wanted to do from a very young age.  He wanted to manage a kitchen and hotel.  So he went to a well known college and majored in Hospitality and Tourism.  He excelled and graduated near the top of his class.  So when he graduated he was hired by a very prestigious resort.  He was on his way to everything he ever wanted.

And he then discovered that he HATED it.  He was miserable.  What the hell do you do when your dream comes true and it turns out it's not what you envisioned?

Scott did what I believe was a brave thing.  He cut his losses and went back to school in a totally different career choice.

When I was fat, I didn't know exactly what would change if I lost weight.  But I was absolutely POSITIVE about one thing - I knew my life would be PERFECT if only I was thin.

In fact it was guaranteed that I would skip through roses everywhere I went!  And I would never struggle with anything because, of course, being thin is the best thing that a person can be, right?

Uh...not so much!!

Don't get me wrong, my life is so much better in countless ways now that I'm not obese.  But it's certainly not perfect!  I still struggle.  Life still throws curve balls.  I have lost friends because I'm not the same person anymore.  And I never thought - and this is incredibly naive of me - that it would be so hard to maintain my loss!

So as you make this journey, don't be like me and think that reaching a magic number will be the answer to all your prayers!  Instead - as I continue to try understand - life is indeed a journey, not a destination!!

And no matter what number the scale throws at me, no matter how fit I am, there are always going to be ways and times that I struggle.  The elusive “perfect” life – I’m not sure it exists…

Where_on_life_journey

No comments:

Post a Comment