Friday, September 14, 2012

One of THOSE people?

Oh no!  Have I become one of THOSE people?  You know the ones - they make a life change and suddenly they know everything or feel the need to lecture other people on the evil of their ways?

I really have strived hard NOT to be that person.  I want to be available for people to ask questions and to give positive suggestions IF someone wants it.  But I don't want to be the type that lectures or gives feedback without being solicited.

Now some of this is NOT my fault.  Some people feel guilty about their choices and for some reason feel the need to justify their poor choices to me.  After I run at lunch, I stand off to the side of my work place and stretch.  At least once per week, someone walks by me and says something like this - "You are so dedicated!!  I know I should be exercising, BUT...."  insert excuse here - Typical ones are how busy they are (yes, because I have all the time in the world) or have bad knees and can't run, or some other excuse.  I usually just smile and say something like "Yeah, it's hard..." or something generic.

Another thing I have noticed is that when someone is eating something "bad" and I'm around they also justify their choices.  I was getting on the elevator the other day and a co-worker gets on with a large cup of soda from a local fast food place.  Naturally I glanced at what she was holding.  She immediately said "I KNOW!!  Soda is horrible!  But I HATE drinking water and..." blah, blah, blah, you get the point.  I was like "I didn't say a word!!!!"   

Yesterday I went into our morning meeting.  We meet once per week and someone always provides junk food.  I used to head in and immediately grab one of those processed individually wrapped brownie things that Little Debbie makes.  It's been so long since I've had one that I don't even think about eating one anymore.  Probably it wouldn't even taste that good since I don't eat that processed crap anymore.  But yesterday, someone brought in Ghidardelli chocolates with caramel.  They looked YUMMY!  I looked at the nutrition label and was like "220 calories for 3 pieces!!"  Now this was NOT to keep other people from eating them - it was just a reminder to me that no way was I going to eat one and have that many calories.  But I hope that I didn't make anyone else feel like they shouldn't have one!

Sigh....I feel strongly that what you choose to do with your own body is a very personal choice and I don't want to be someone who pushes my agenda on someone else.  On the other hand, since I know how AWESOME it feels to be thin AND fit (big difference then just being thin), I want everyone to have that experience.

Where to draw the line.... 


3 comments:

  1. I don't think that it is anything that you can help. It sounds like when a person cusses in front of a minister and then remembers who they are with and get embarrassed. Being with someone that they know has better health habits than they do is making them self conscious. I imagine when time goes by and everyone gets used to the new you, they will relax.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the problem is not recognizing that "thin and fit" people can eat chocolate, pizza, and drink beer. I consider myself thin at a 00 size, and fit at a sub 3:30 marathon. I do all of those things. It's hard sometimes with a history of anorexia to constantly have people ask me "how I eat that" and "stay so thin". The "secret" is that I don't eat 5 slices, and don't drink a 6 pack. I'm learning balance, too. I hope you do as well.

    ReplyDelete