Saturday, August 27, 2016

I scream you scream…

Earlier this year I won tickets on the local radio station for a boat cruise around the 1000 Islands.  Since I grew up in this area, I’ve been on this tour many times and Marc I considered just not using the tickets or giving them away.  But then we thought that we could use them to spend the day with our nephews and enjoy a couple of hours out on the beautiful St. Lawrence River.

Friday I took the day off so we could do that.  The day was beautiful – hot and sunny.  We picked the boys up and I decided instead of going to a restaurant, we would stop at a grocery store and everyone could pick out their lunch and then we would eat on a picnic table in a park on a small island near where the tour started.

Go me, right?  I could choose something healthy.  Which I did.

The day was perfect – we had our picnic and after the boat tour we headed back to our house and I told the nephews that we would pick up Chakotay and Archer and we would all go out for ice cream.

Chakotay has gained so much weight and really doesn’t need more food, but I can’t resist spoiling him for the time he has left.

So we went to the ice cream shop who gave the dogs a bowl of ice cream and stuck a crunchy treat in the middle.

IMG_6920

 

 

 

 

IMG_6918

 

 

 

 

I got the nephews settled with their ice cream and went back for mine and Marc’s.  Guess who else has gained a bunch of weight and definitely didn’t need any ice cream – ME!

Ice cream is one of THOSE foods for me.  As I’ve mentioned here before, soda – specifically Mountain Dew – was something I never thought I’d be able to give up.  But once I stopped drinking it, it really hasn’t been that hard to stay away from.  I know other people who have such a hard time staying away from candy bars.  But those weren’t even a “thing” for me when I was fat.  Since losing the weight I think I’ve eaten a full sized candy bar twice and had a mini one maybe 3-4 times?

But ice cream?  Oh boy – for sure that is a weakness of mine.  I have had ice cream a couple of times this summer.  The problem is that if it is in the house – I freaking obsess about it being there.  And I can’t just have a little – I must eat a GIANORMOUS bowl full!

And there’s just something about soft serve ice cream.  I have had it only once this summer. 

There’s nothing wrong with having a treat once and a while.  And it would have been fine for me to get a small cone and eat it.

But NOOOOOO.  I had to get a cone so large I practically had to SCALE it to get to the top.

ice-cream-cone

And you know that I absolutely ate every last bit.

The nephews then played for a while with the dogs – Chakotay gets tired easily but is still a sweet boy and tolerated the repeated hugs from our one nephew who is incredibly sensitive.  He knows about Chakotay’s cancer and each time he sees him knows that it might be for the last time.

We got them hope late.  It was a very fun day.

But you know me – the guilt from having eaten that ice cream…

So as I sit here late tonight, I went on a 40 mile bike ride this morning.  And then went for a short walk.  THEN I ran 4 miles on the treadmill.  Trying to undo the damage.  Which is utterly and completely useless and ridiculous.  I know this, and did it anyway.

What would have made more sense would have been to eat the small cone and do a little bit of extra movement today.  Which is what I’ll tell myself next time.  I’ll tell myself this, but I’m probably do exactly what I did yesterday!!

 hqdefault

No comments:

Post a Comment