Saturday, September 19, 2015

Tour De Chaumont

Today was the Tour De Chaumont – a bike ride around the Chaumont NY area to benefit a local garden/touristy club.

The ride had 3 options, a 25, a 50, and a 100 mile route.  Marc was not interested in doing this and when I signed up I debated which length to go on.  25 miles is reasonably easy for me now, but 50 is a bit of a challenge.  100?  Uh…NO!

So I decided to challenge myself and do the 50.  It was a late starting ride, so I had plenty of time to get up and get ready.

I arrived at the fire hall, got myself signed in, readied my bike and took off.  It was mostly cloudy today and with a temperature in the low 70’s.  It would have been perfect except we are having a cold front move in and ahead of it was EXTREMELY strong winds. 

The start headed directly into it.  And we would make loops running along the shores of Lake Ontario – normally beautiful views, but on a windy day, the wind just tears across the water. 

At a measly 12 miles in, I was pedaling so hard and feeling like I was pedaling through quicksand the wind was so vicious.  I began to doubt myself – if I was this shot after only 12 miles?  I was going to be SCREWED trying to go 38 more!!

Here is a map of my travels from Runkeeper.

map  The second loop – the big one at the bottom – that was long – about 20 miles of the whole thing and it was definitely hard.  Lots of people were out and about – walking, mowing their lawns, painting – typical fall chores – I distracted myself by waving at people and commenting on the day.

Finally that loop was finished and I hit the main road again.  At 35 miles, I arrived back at the start where you could stop before the last push and get water, snacks and use the facilities if you wanted to.  I wanted to.  I was very surprised that was a whole group – all middle age men – who elected to not finish.  They were packing up their bikes and getting their ziti dinners. 
I’m not going to lie – I considered quitting as well.  But I didn’t want to give up.  There was no money or glory on the line – there was just my determination to do what I came to do – ride 50 miles. 

And so I mounted my bike and took off – telling myself the hard part was over – one more loop – 15 miles.  I could do it. 

And so I did.  With each CHIRP of my Garmin I counted down how many miles to go.  I arrived back at 3 hours 17 minutes and 49 seconds.  It was not fast, but given the battle against the wind, I am satisfied. 

12036581_10206373432789214_2083705093096576935_n

I don’t even look that tore up!

I sat down and enjoyed the ziti dinner the garden club served – older ladies that were cheerful and shocked that I did the 50 – “All alone??!!” they gasped.  It was pretty cute.

So 3 hours is a long time to spend with your own thoughts.  I am not a person who likes to be alone.  I am surrounded by others in my work and rarely do things like this without Marc.  I try to stay as far away from me as I can.

But today I had a LOT of time to think.  I haven’t felt like posting here because I feel like most of you who read this want to be inspired or get the lowdown on how to maintain a weight loss.  And I can’t give that to you because I’m failing miserably in that department.

So I tried, very hard – especially during the long and lonely stretch of that 2nd loop to figure some things out.  Where I am and, more importantly, where I am going.  I don’t know that I reached any solution, resolution, or any inner peace.  But I did spend some time with me and did meet a goal I had set for myself.

And I know one thing – I will sleep well tonight!!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome job, Jen! Were you singing "Against the Wind" by Bob Segar? LOL nothing worse than battling and doubting that inner voice on top of crappy weather to boot! It's just mind over matter and you made it matter!
    Lisa :)

    ReplyDelete