Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Try and try again…

Someone today was filling me in on the new “21 Day Fix” program that is a combined system designed to teach healthy eating and portion control with an exercise program. This seems to be a new and very popular system and not knowing much about it, I was pretty interested. The person had just bought it and was extremely excited to get started with it.

Suddenly - almost mid-sentence - she stopped talking and said to me: “You must be thinking how ridiculous I am right now!!”

I asked her what she meant by that. She then said that she has been trying to eat right and exercise for 2-3 years now. She’ll lose some weight and then promptly gain it back. She has tried committing to running, she joined a gym, she tried Jillian Michaels’ workouts, she tried yoga, she tried P90X and then Shaun T’s T-25 programs. All of these she stuck to for only a short time before abandoning them.

She told me that I must think that she is a joke because she tries all these things and then stops. She loses motivation. She’ll eat right for a while and then immerse herself in a world of pizza, ice cream and food that comes out of a box. She told me that she doesn’t know how I do it, and that she feels guilty and “like a failure” when she sees me running or when she sees what I am eating for lunch.

I told her that it’s not easy. I asked if she thought that one day I just decided to get healthy and “TADA!” I did so. No, I attempted many times over many years to make a change. I tried walking and Zumba. I made the absolute VOW on many occasions to eat right - sometimes the promise lasted a few days sometimes I didn’t make it until noon that day!!

Making a major life change takes time and there is no predicting when something will finally “click”. There may be a lucky few in this world that “get it” and achieve the first time they attempt the change. But the vast majority of those who attain their goals have attempted MANY, MANY times and “failed”.

Who knows when we’ll do the thing that allows us to succeed this time. Maybe the 21 Day Fix is it for her. Maybe she is ready now. But the point is that you can’t give up because you haven’t found success yet! Success may be right there.

So if you have tried and failed in the past. Even if you made a resolution on New Year’s and it’s already been broken - IT IS NEVER TOO LATE!! Try again, try something different, but TRY.

I am so glad that I didn’t give up and that I am not giving up now. The whole new life you seek is right there. It always has been. You just need the key to unlock the door. It may be the 2nd key you try or the 50th, but it’s there - just keep searching!

4c37ef3146547864a5806ee6daf6c569

1 comment:

  1. We must never give up when know what will happen then,try try and try again

    ReplyDelete