Thursday, January 14, 2016

Recipe: Chicken and White Bean Stew

This is what I woke up to this morning!

12524319_10153411651598505_796301643850632807_n

Ugggggg, RIGHT? I feel like I’m never going to get outside to run again.  Check that – get outside to do ANYTHING except run from home to car to work to car to home!!!

I can’t say that I’ve been as on point this week as I planned and wanted to be. However, I stared LONGINGLY at the peanut butter in the pantry last night and narrowly managed to avoid rationalizing why it would be okay to “just have a taste”. For me, this is a victory!

And when I come home from work and the weather is freezing cold and snowy, it is tremendously hard to keep up the motivation to work out. I really just want to get in my PJ’s and curl up on the couch with some comfort food and not move all night!

Anyway, on to the recipe!  What is better on a cold and snowy night than a hearty stew? This is one of my favorites, because it is healthy and super easy to make!!
What you’ll need for this recipe:
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1/4 cup Light Italian Dressing
  • 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 1 tsp. dried basil leaves
  • 1 can (15 oz.) no-salt-added navy beans, drained
  • Shredded light cheese (optional)
First take the onion and chop it up.
IMG_6817
 
 
 
 
 
 
Throw it in a large saucepan with the Italian dressing and cook on medium heat until the onions are softened (approximately 5 minutes).
IMG_6818





Next chop the chicken into bite sized pieces. Add that and the minced garlic into the saucepan.

IMG_6819
 
 
 
 
 
 
Cook up until the chicken is cooked through - around 5 minutes.

IMG_6820



Add the diced tomatoes, the beans and the basil.
IMG_6821
 
 

 
 
 
IMG_6822
  IMG_6823
 
 
 
 
Stir it all up and simmer 15 minutes.

IMG_6825
Split it up and add some cheese on top.

IMG_6826
 
 
 
 
 
  IMG_6827





 
YUMMY - and so easy!
This turns out very thick – it is a stew (which is how Marc likes it).  If you want it more soup like, you can easily add some chicken broth!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jen,
    I made your stew today :) So yummy!!! Bonus, I have leftovers for lunch this week. I couldn't find navy beans but I used Northern beans. Thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you liked it! I've been thinking I'd like to try black beans in it! Maybe that's what I'll do next time!

      Delete
  2. Sounds delicious! Going to try it. Thanks Jen!

    ReplyDelete