Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Whiplash!!

Don’t worry – I didn’t get into a car accident!

No, I’m talking about the movie, WhiplashI finally got the opportunity to watch it.  OMG, it seriously is one of the best movies I have seen in my life.  I would place it at least in the top 5.

If you have not seen it, you absolutely MUST.  There are a load of reasons to see this movie the least of which is a staggeringly BRILLIANT performance by JK Simmons, who is the most deserving Oscar winner in years in my not so humble opinion.

The film, if you haven’t seen it, focuses on a college freshman in an elite music school and the slave driving and often cruel orchestral leader.

There are many lessons and controversial talking points that could be discussed,  But as I was thinking about the movie later, I was thinking about drive and dedication and what someone can accomplish if he or she puts his or her mind to it. 

The film shows the young man working his ass off.  Sacrificing everything.  Making himself – literally – bleed for his craft.

And I thought about myself.  When I was in high school I knew with absolute certainty that I would be moving to New York City after graduation and pursuing a starring role on Broadway. 

I didn’t, of course.  I realized that I was not willing to struggle and scrape and sacrifice everything in order to potentially make it big.  I gave up.  Chickened out.

Does that make me a coward?  Sometimes I think so.  It’s like the whole weight struggle right now.  Of course I CAN get back down to 117 pounds.  But I’m taking the easy road.  It’s like I’m not willing to struggle anymore for what I supposedly want.

And that’s the simple reality of it.  You either work for it or whine about it.  Or take SECOND best.  I believe that I could have worked harder, got better grades, advanced further, become more talented in certain areas.  But instead I settled for good enough. 

Is that something to be ashamed of?  Is being uber-driven to the point of obsession admirable?  Is being content with okay pathetic?  I truly don’t know…   

No comments:

Post a Comment