Tuesday, February 24, 2015

The amazing human body...

I have been feeling very reflective lately.  There are probably several reasons for this, but I know 1 major reason - it was 5 years ago this month when I collapsed at work and was taken to the ER.

That started a chain of doctor's visits - seeing the number 344 on the scale and probably started me on the path towards where I am today.

At any rate, if you've read much of this blog, you know that as someone who was pitifully out of shape one of the first dip of the toe into exercise was buying a Wii.  

We then bought EA Sports Active.  Marc and I were talking the other day about that "game" and how hard the exercises were for me when I first started.

One of the fitness exercises involved doing squats.  I could barely squat down to my thighs being parallel to the floor.  I did 3 sets of 10 squats to the best of my ability.  I was SO SORE the next days when I got up!!

My legs and ass hurt so much I almost fell getting out of my vehicle at work the next morning!  And the 1/2 flight of stairs to climb up to sign into work??  I had to grab the handrail and slowly and agonizingly drag myself up them!  It was almost funny it was so pathetic!!

Fast forward - today I came home from work and I did my plan of working my legs and back.  As part of that workout, I lifted a 50 pound barbell off the floor, slung it onto my shoulders and squatted it 20 times.  I did 4 sets of this for a total of 80.  That, of course, was in addition to all the other exercises I did, like lunges with 20 pound dumbbells, calf raises with 30 pound dumbbells and Romanian Deadlifts on my Bowflex using 210 pounds.

I'll probably be a little sore tomorrow, but I'll easily be able to take the stairs and run on the treadmill.

This much of a change in less than 5 years!!  Not because I am amazing, but because the human body is amazing and adaptable and forgiving!!!

So if you have been using the excuse that you are too old, or too out of shape, or it's too late to start lifting weights or running or dancing or skiing or ANYTHING ELSE - 

YOU. ARE. WRONG!

So drop the excuses.  Quit the bullshit.  Because that's all of is.  Your amazing body is ready, able and willing to change.  Are you??

No comments:

Post a Comment