Wednesday, February 18, 2015

PMA (not PMS)

I work with a guy who is in his second career, having retired from one career and is now working in my building.  He is unfailingly positive.  He just seems to be in a good mood all the time and I have literally never seen anything get under his skin.

I'm not going to lie - as a very NON morning person there are times when I see him just after getting to work and he heartily and happily greets me and asks how I am doing and I want to punch him in the face.  BUT mostly I admire his positivity.

It doesn't come across as fake or like he's being a "Pollyanna" either.  It feels genuine.  He had cancer in the not too distant past and went through treatment and is in remission.  I didn't really know him well before this, so whether surviving cancer changed his demeanor or whether he was always like this, I don't know.

I am trying so hard to maintain a positive mental attitude.  But it's not terribly in my nature, plus I'm so miserable right now - the weather, my weight - that I have to "autocorrect" myself multiple times per day.

Research shows how having a positive mental attitude can make you so much healthier - it is associated with weight loss, lowered stress, less sickness, all kinds of good things.

Last night I "tweeted" the actor Terry Crews.  I've read some interviews with him and he appears to be an extremely positive person as well as just a generally awesome human being.  He tweeted me back about patience, faith and self talk about "I can" versus "I can't".

Thanks Terry - I'm trying!!!

positive-mental-attitude-quotes

1 comment:

  1. I am married to a man like that!! And me Miss super negative about my self wants to punch him sometimes.....but he really helps keep me grounded and more positive.

    ReplyDelete