Friday, January 16, 2015

Well that's crappy!

This is another one of those too much information posts.  No, I mean it.  Realllyyyy too much information.  So if you don't want to hear about my POOPING, stop reading now!

BUT I know I'm not the only one out there with the issue, and since body function things that most people don't like to talk about I am okay with, I'm going to share with you.

Those of you that have read this blog will remember my issue from when I first lost weight.  I was having trouble pooping.  Until I ran.  And then about 2 miles in I couldn't NOT poop.  If ya know what I mean.

I started researching and found that people that have lost a lot of weight often have trouble pooping.  After years of a certain intake of amount and type of good, the body just doesn't know how to get back in a rhythm with the changes.

AND, I discovered that with runners - all types of runners - some people find themselves needing to crap when they run.  And when I say NEEDING, I mean NEEDING.  Which led to several sites on the internet where I could see people from races crossing the finish line with poop running down their legs.  Oh, ya gotta love the internet!!

I tried everything.  Not eating, drinking coffee, eating certain things, drinking water, warming up before I ran.  And still?  Emergency poop stops - if I was lucky.  

And then came the day I found myself about 2.5 miles from home crying on the phone with Marc asking him to come get me - and to bring at least 2 garbage bags for me to sit on.  Was not my finest moment, people!

I started taking Miralax to get me on a schedule and to make it easier for me to poop in general.  It worked!  I was able to poop like a normal person and didn't have the issue when I ran!  Yay!  I went to the doctor's and he said that it is fine to take Miralax daily - it is not a stimulant like ex-lax that your body can get "addicted" to.  

So for the last - geez, I think it's been almost 3 years - I've been taking it every day.  And it works perfectly.  But it has bothered me that I am taking an outside substance to make my body work right.  So on January 1st, I started taking it every OTHER day instead of daily with the goal to eventually wean myself off.    I'm having some issues adjusting - not as regular and I've had days of feeling bloated,  I've only been running on the treadmill, so it's hard to say whether I'd have any emergencies if I was outside.  

So will see what happens, and, like it or not I'll let you know!!



No comments:

Post a Comment