Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Recipe: Cauliflower Bread Sticks

IMG_6292

Oh look, what have we here?  Some delicious and   - wait for it - HEALTHY bread sticks!

I've seen recipes for cauliflower crust pizza circulating the internet forever.  I was skeptical that it actually worked.  But when I saw a suggestion to make the crust into bread sticks?  I had to try.

I didn't take any pics of the process because I wasn't sure it would turn out.  But you can google cauliflower bread sticks and find a ton of recipes - all similar - with step by step pics.

I will share with you how I did it, and trust me, no one was more shocked then I was about how fucking awesome they turned out!!

First take a head of cauliflower and cut all the green stems off.  Cut the head into parts and feed it into a food processor.  Pulse it up for just a short time - the results should look a lot like rice - no chunks but not obliterated.

Place in a bowl and microwave for 8 minutes.

Next is the hardest part - you need to get the water out.  I put the cauliflower on a clean dish towel, wrapped it up and began squeezing.

Note: if you attempt this right after microwaving, the hot water will burn you.  Who would be stupid enough to start squeezing water out directly after microwaving?  That would be ME!!!

il_570xN.318495374

Anyway, after letting it cool I squeezed the water out into a measuring cup to see how much came out and it was just over 3/4 cup!  When finished, your nice huge head of cauliflower looks like a small ball of dough.

Now, in a bowl beat up one egg.  Throw in some spices - I used salt, oregano and parsley.  Add 1/2 cup of shredded cheese - I used Walmart's fiesta blend made from skim milk - 80 calories per 1/3 cup.

Dump in the cauliflower and mix well.

Now place the mixture on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper that has been sprayed with non stick spray.

You should easily be able to use your hands to shape it into a rectangle.

Throw it into an oven heated at 425 for 30 minutes.

IMG_6291

Take it out and it should be pretty crispy.  Turn oven up to 450.  Top with another 1/2 cup of cheese and add any additional spices - I threw some basil on top.

Bake for 5 more minutes.

Take it out and wow!!!!

IMG_6294

 

 

 

 

I was amazed at how great they turned out!!  They almost look like real bread sticks!!

IMG_6293

 

 

 

 

And they were delicious!! Not as good, of course, as real bread sticks, but for the calorie exchange??!!

Next up for me is making a pizza and using cauliflower as the crust!  I can't wait!!

No comments:

Post a Comment