Sunday, August 31, 2014

Victories and failures

When summer started, this is NOT how I anticipated that I would be spending the symbolic last day of summer.  Today was the 18.12 Challenge and I knew that I would run the half marathon as I did last year or I even had the fantasy that I might be able to run the 18 miles.

But it was not meant to be.

Last night I kept thinking that this was not the script – I should be getting out my running clothes and being all nervous. 

And when I woke up this morning to pee at 7:15, I was thinking that I should have been about 2 miles into a race, not heading back to bed.

I didn’t get up until late and was restless and pouty thinking about all the great racers out there running.  It was not a great morning weather wise and started pouring just as I was thinking about getting ready to head out to try to run.

So I got dressed, headed down to the basement and turned on the treadmill.  The belt decided to start slipping and after almost falling twice, I turned it off.

Normally this would have been an excuse to have a meltdown or head upstairs to eat and feel sorry for myself.

But remember, I am working on being THE NEW AND IMPROVED JEN.  So I calmly hopped of the treadmill, plugged in the elliptical and started going.

Marc came down and I told him I wasn’t using the treadmill because of the belt issue.  Now I know he just wanted to get to his workout, but because he is the best husband ever, he instead worked on getting the belt tight.  He finished just as I was at 30 minutes in on the elliptical.

So I moved over to the tready and set it pretty slow.  And then I ran 7 miles.  My piriformis muscle felt quite tight, but not painful. And as I was running I was thinking about how this was just one race.  Maybe I can run it next year and maybe not. 

But either way, not being healthy enough to run in today’s race is disappointing, but it’s not a tragedy.

For this chick, coming to that mindset is a victory, even within a failure. 

So August will not end the way I planned, but it’s all going to be okay.

 77896a6823a9b639aa65ed49fdb4ad94

No comments:

Post a Comment