Thursday, May 22, 2014

Gratitude and attitude...

Last November I made a point in each blog post that month to name something that I was thankful for.  I try to remain grateful for everything I have but real life has a way of narrowing our view at times and I can't be the only one who loses sight of what we do have.

With my doctor's appointment over and good news I received I found myself pretty reflective today.  As I got out of the shower this morning and stared at my naked body in the mirror, I rubbed my stomach and thought "I think I love food too much to weigh under 120..."  And for once that thought didn't make me hate myself.

I thought about weighing over 300 pounds and how grateful I would have been then to magically be made 150 pounds - let alone the 123 that I weighed this morning.

And I think about some people I know with SO LITTLE that are so happy just to be alive and clean and sober - I can learn a lesson from them.

 I have a home, a husband who loves me, and SO MANY MORE blessings in my life.  I can't get complacent, of course, but with that birthday fast approaching I think i could use a little more gratitude.


2 comments:

  1. Jen,

    My husband was diagnosed with cancer about a week ago. We are still in the diagnostic stages of this process, so we know almost nothing at this point about his prognosis or treatments. However, I cannot help feeling so grateful...grateful that this amazing man and I found each other...grateful for the time that we've shared and the time we will share...grateful for the home, family, and life we share. It is a terrible thing to hear the "C" word in relation to someone you love, but it's a blessing to realize every moment is precious and should not be wasted!! Thank you for this reminder to be grateful for each and every blessing in this life!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry that you and your husband are going through this! Congratulations on keeping a positive attitude and cherishing every day!

    Jen

    ReplyDelete