Sunday, November 10, 2013

Coffee talk...

Let's talk today about coffee. 


Unlike I'm sure many of you, I was not a coffee drinker for most of my life.  My parents were both coffee drinkers and I have always loved the smell of coffee, but I never liked the taste of it.  

Then I lost a bunch of weight and, as you know, I'm cold ALL THE TIME.  So one day at work, court had ended and they were going to toss the remaining 1/2 pot of coffee down the sink.  So I said, "Hey, let me have some of that."  And, so, a love story was born.  

Of course, being the research artist that I am, before I went completely gaga for coffee, I had to look at the benefits and drawbacks.

So what are the facts on coffee consumption?
  • Well, for us watching our calorie intake, it's fantastic.  About 5 calories a cup!
  • It lowers your risk of Type 2 diabetes
  • Coffee drinking is associated with a lower risk of Alzheimer's Disease.
  • It lowers your risk of cancer - most specifically skin and liver cancer.
  • It decreases depression
Since most people drink caffeinated coffee, we have to look at caffeine, too.
  • Caffeine is a performance booster.  It increases fatty acids in the blood stream and allows people to exercise longer and harder.
  • Caffeine decreases post workout pain and allows the body to recover faster.
  • Caffeine is better then a nap in keeping you alert
Now, coffee and caffeine have drawbacks as well.  They can cause insomnia.  They also make some people nervous and jittery.  So, like with everything on this journey, it's about MODERATION.  And some people, like my wonderful husband, can't drink it much later then 2 PM or he is up all night.  And don't start adding cream and sugar!  Drink it black or you're going to start racking up the cals!

But for me, I have grown to love my coffee!  I am a fan of dark roast and also prefer the flavored coffees.  So I own not ONE, but TWO Keurig machines!  I have one at home and I brew a cup before leaving for the day.  I also bought a small one for work, and I have some coffee every day before my lunch hour workout. 

I know some people who have given up coffee as part of their journey, but I see no reason to!  Bottoms up!!






Today I am thankful for my wonderful husband Marc who is always there to love me, support me, and kick my ass when needed...

No comments:

Post a Comment