Thursday, July 25, 2013

Product review: Vitality Turkey and Veggies dog treats

I know what you are thinking - what the heck?  This isn't a pet blog!  It's a blog on weight loss!  Why is Jen posting a review of dog treats?

I'll tell you why - people that own dogs tend to be thinner and healthier.  Most people I know own dogs and like to give the best to them.  I was incredibly impressed with this product and had to share.  And finally, this is my blog and I can do what I want!

When Marc and I were getting ready to go camping, we made sure to pack some protein bars for us to eat on our anticipated long hikes.  I wanted to get something for the dogs, because they expend as much - and usually MORE - energy as us when we hike.  This is especially true any place that they are allowed to be off leash, because they get excited and run around.  

So I went up to our local PetCo and began looking at options - the choices were many and overwhelming.  I needed something that was HEALTHY, natural, high quality, packed a punch of protein and that they would EAT.  Neither of my dogs are all that food driven and are reluctant to eat in strange places even when I know that they are hungry.

I ran across these Vitality Turkey and Veggie bars made by Dogswell.

It looked promising!  So I took a closer look at the ingredients:

  • Turkey
  • Tomatoes
  • Cranberries
  • Flaxseed
  • Cane
  • Molasses
  • Peas
  • Carrots
  • Spinach
  • Apples
  • Salt
  • Tocopherols
  • Rosemary Extract
  • Zinc Propionate
  • Ascorbic Acid
  • Vatamin A Acetate
Wow, I thought!  I was really impressed with the variety of ingredients and thought that these would be perfect to bring for my boys when we went hiking.  The bars contain 30% protein, a good number.  So they were purchased and thrown into the boys' stuff as we were packing.

So once there, we headed out for the first hike and I stuck the bag into Chakotay's backpack.  We stopped a few miles in for a break, and here was the first test - would they eat them?  Well, the answer is ABSOLUTELY YES.  They LOVED them! Without hesitation they sucked them down.  Usually they sniff and sniff, might put something in their mouths, spit it out, taste a little, spit out again.  Not with these!  They must have loved the smell and the first taste because they enthusiastically chowed down on them.  

So these treats went with us whereever we hiked.  Here they are enjoying them after our hike at Taughannock State Park.















I was thrilled to be able to give my dogs something healthy, energy filled and natural during our hikes.

What else did I like about the bars?  They are broken up into different sizes, allowing an easy grab based on the size of the dogs, how much you want them to have.

They are very dry and therefore very light.  That means that they travel well.  Not a lot of extra cargo to stick in either your backpack or your dog's.  They aren't terribly smelly like some products.

So I gotta tell you, I'm going to keep these on hand for whenever we go hiking.  By far, they are my favorite product I have found for active dogs.

I have not yet had a chance to get any of their other products, but Dogswell  has a whole line of products.  Some of the other bars they offer also contain very natural ingredients such as their line of jerky, which includes duck and salmon.  Or they have other bars that contain chicken and banana or lamb and veggies.  Some of these more unusual ingredients, like tilapia and sweet potato, are great for dogs that have allergies to traditional proteins such as beef or chicken.  

Try them, and let me know what your dog thinks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment