Saturday, April 6, 2013

Muscles! Or lacking them!

I've talked many time on here about the importance of strength training/weight lifting.  It totally reshapes every part of your body.

When you look at 2 people of the same height weighing, say, 125 pounds, they can look RADICALLY different from one another depending on their muscle mass.  And looking firm and tight compared to "skinny fat" is MUCH more appealing to me!

Now I've been lifting for a while now, and have some pretty impressive muscles, if I do say so myself.  My calves are really defined from both running and weight lifting.  My biceps look good and I have some great shoulders.














However, I have almost no muscle definition in my back!  See?

Despite working my back, I have very little muscle definition in my lats and delts.  I do most of the exercises that they call for to increase muscle mass there including deadlifts.  

Apparently one of the ways to increase muscles back there is doing pull-ups.  While I can do chin-ups without assistance, I can't manage to do even one pull-up.  For those of you who don't know, in a chin-up, your palms face you and the biceps are highly involved.  In a pull-up, your palms face away from you and  the back muscles are more involved.


Here I am doing a chin up - palms facing - I can do a few of these from a dead hang.










But I have to use a ball or something else to give me assistance to do a pull up.











I guess I will try doing some more pull-ups with assistance, but someone also told me that, like the abs, muscles in women are harder to define until you lose more body fat percentage, and I'm not so sure that I want to lose any more body fat....

3 comments:

  1. I think your back is more muscular than you think I don't think you have your arms in the right place to make them POP...and I agree with you on the too low of body fat thing,that's why this time I am keeping a tiny bit more weight on and just intensifying the weights and cardio.
    I know I look like I weigh less because of weights and also fit in smaller clothes because of it.
    And you look fantastic by the way...
    PS the dog has gone and hurt his other back leg this am and can not put weight on it....we just started leaving him for the first time on Thur while we worked WAITiNG on a call from surgen office we will drive there mon.6 hrs one way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great muscle! One tip....wider grip on the pullups than chin ups. Think the same as you would grip for wide grip lat pulldowns. Once I changed my width, I did much better. Keep on inspiring!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm it seems like your website ate my first comment (it was
    super long) so I guess I'll just sum it up
    what I wrote and say, I'm thoroughly enjoying your blog.
    I too am an aspiring blog writer but I'm still new to the whole thing.
    Do you have any suggestions for inexperienced blog writers?
    I'd genuinely appreciate it.

    Also visit my site; http://musclexedgereviews.org

    ReplyDelete