Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Tip of the day...

We all know the things that can make us successful in a weight loss journey.  Eat right, exercise, et cetera.  But how about a tip that made a huge difference in my life that you might not think is important ?

GET ORGANIZED!


With summer winding down, I know a lot of you have kids.  Even if you don't, fall brings on its own set of challenges.  There never seems to be enough time in the day.  When we are rushed and unorganized we tend to make bad choices.  Disorganization also leads to stress and stress leads to lots of things - like the body holding on to fat. 

Let me give you an example.  Let's say that you're having a crazy day at work.  You rush out the door anxious to get home and tackle the night's responsibilities.  Now what are you going to do for dinner?  Who knows??  That pizza place down the road is calling your name and it's quick and easy, right?  Bad, bad, bad.  Now imagine the same scenario, except you knew last night exactly what you were going to have tonight and threw everything in the crockpot this morning, turned it on low, and now all you have to do is come home and dish out a delicious, healthy meal.  Good, good, good!

Every night before I go to bed, this is what I do -

  • Lay out the clothes I'm going to wear tomorrow.
  • Pack my gym bag with workout clothes and anything else I need for working out - such as a DVD.
  • Take out of the freezer what I'm having for dinner the next day and put it in the fridge. 
  • Get out what I'm having for breakfast the next morning - like putting the dry oatmeal in a bowl and sticking the bowl and a spoon in the microwave.
  • Pack my lunch for the next day.
Does this sound like a lot of effort?  It's not once you get used to it.  I am not a morning person.  So having the oatmeal all ready where I just have to throw in some water and start the microwave makes my life so much easier.  Then there is no chance of 1) skipping breakfast and finding myself starving and making a bad food choice halfway through the morning or 2) Stopping at McDonald's for a greasy, nasty breakfast sandwich on the way in to work.

You'll be amazed at how much easier the mornings go!  Your outfit is laid out, so you just throw on the clothes, grab your workout bag, throw your lunch in the bag and head out the door.  Easy peasy. 

And as far as dinner goes, crockpot recipes are a life saver.  And there are a TON of websites with easy and quick recipes.  But even if you're not using a crockpot, just having the chicken breast thawing during the day and some rice in the rice cooker - it makes life so much easier when you get home! 

I have also found that this type of organization saves precious minutes!  So I have time to cut the dogs' nails or load the dishwasher or sew that damn button back on my shirt.  Also, I like to do my second workout of the day when I get home.  This way I don't have to make a choice between working out and getting stuff done - I can do both!  Because it's too freaking easy to make EXCUSES to not work out.  Having time to get everything done and still get a good night's sleep is worth it's weight in GOLD!  And you'll go to bed feeling accomplished and not guilty. 

Try this for a week and let me know how it goes!!



No comments:

Post a Comment